Public Safety & Livability
West Broadway Area Coalition in partnership with KMOJ Radio Facilitate Community Meeting: Cleaner, Safer, Greener Initiative.
On Friday, October 2, the West Broadway Business and Area Coalition (WBC), in partnership with Mpls Council Members Hofstede and Samuels and KMOJ, facilitated a community meeting around the homicide that occurred on Sunday, September 27, 2009 as a part of the Cleaner, Safer, Greener Initiative. The goal was to engage the business and residential community so that they could hear a factual update from the Minneapolis Police Department regarding the incident, and then to engage the community to hear their feedback so that we can move toward a more safe community.
The meeting was well attended with over 67 individuals in attendance, many of whom gave their feedback around involving all parts of the community especially those that live in North Minneapolis in a process to move West Broadway and North Minneapolis toward an end to violence. The WBC committed to holding additional forums and also promised to continue to work with law enforcement and other system partners to begin that process.
- Double-digit crime reduction in the ward, and in our City
- 800+ problem properties in the ward registered, inspected and corrected
- Authored new gas shut-off ordinance which has become a national model to prevent vacant-house explosions
- Passed stronger rental property licensing and noise ordinances
- Ordered Third Ward Clean Sweeps to improve the entire Ward
- Collaborated with city departments and neighborhoods to shut down long-term problem businesses that had been havens for illegal activity
- C.A.R.E.Initiated monthly Community And Resource Exchange community committee meetings to deal with problem properties, mortgage foreclosures, and safety issues, promoting timely and innovative solutions
- Initiated LINCLiquor Industry ‘N the City bi-monthly forums with the Second Police Precinct and City of Minneapolis departments on order to promote best practices in operation of licensed premises